Sam Smoothy is from New Zealand and is already one of the biggest names in the Freeride circuit. He has been competing on the Freeride World Tour since 2011 and has claimed many podium spots since then including two victories in Chamonix 2012 and Fieberbrunn 2014, finishing fourth overall on the FWT 2012 and runner-up in 2014 and 3rd at Andorra in 2015. But Sam Smoothy is much more than a competition skier. He is filming for elite ski movie production like Legs of Steel and is a guest writer for various ski magazines around the globe.
He has recently been getting more into rock climbing, with some ice climbing and getting more into ski mountaineering but with a more freeride approach to skiing lines fast. Besides skiing Sam Smoothy loves surfing, but he mainly has to do this in the chilly waves of the New Zealand winter, since he rarely spends the Southern Hemisphere summers in his hometown Wanaka. Instead, he is chasing the powder all around the world and preferably in the European Alps, where he has adopted Verbier as a second hometown. No wonder Sam Smoothy has developed an outstanding skiing style that fully lives up to his last name.
- Data di nascita
- New Zealand
- Località sciistica di provenienza
- Treble Cone New Zealand and Verbier Switzerland
- Experience teaches only the teachable.
- Surfing, mountainbiking, rock climbing, reading
Filming with major film company Teton Gravity Research and producing own films from foreign locations in North Korea and Vanuatu
1st Freeride World Tour, Andorra (2015)
4th Freeride World Tour, Alaska (2015)
2nd overall Freeride World Tour (2014)
1st overall Freeride World Tour, Austria (2014)
1st Chamonix Freeride World Tour (2012)
2nd Courmayeur Freeride World Tour (2012)
3rd Roldal Freeride World Tour (2012)
- 1. Sci Völkl preferito
- Revolt 121
- 2. Wofür benutzt Du diese Ski?
- Freeriding and all mountain crushing.
- 3. Perchè ti piace questo sci?
- I love the power and stability I get with the Confession, it can handle anything I throw at it and floats so well in powder, I feel like I can stomp anything with this ski.
- 4. Perchè ti piacerebbe essere parte del team Völkl?
- The Volkl team is more like a family, everyone is super nice and super fun to ski with, and we have the best equipment out there, it's a perfect set up!
- 5. Per quanto tempo hai sciato con Völkl?
- I have been riding on Volkl since 2009.
- 6. A che età hai iniziato a sciare?
- Since I was 2 years old.
- 7. Il momento più alto
- I think winning the Andorra stop of the Freeride World Tour is my break through moment, it really got my name out there and helped a lot with getting me on the Teton Gravity Research film crew.
- 8. Quali sono i migliori posti dove sciare?
- Alaska. But I love my home resorts too, 30 years and still not bored woooo!
- 9. Qual'è il tuo miglior consigli nello sci?
- I think the first season I spent in Alaska is my best ski trip, it actually changed my life, and now I know where I want to be every northern spring every year.
- 10. Destinazione dello sci dove non sei mai stato e dove vorresti
- Antarctica! The mysterious southern continent is just so wild I'd love to spend a few months down there freezing my toes off.
- 11. Ski Hero/
- Shane McConkey
- 12. Cosa ti piace fare quando non stai sciando?
- I try surf as much as I can, that’s my big new passion but because of skiing often means lots of cold water sessions yeow!
- 13. Come ti alleni per mantenere la miglior forma nello sci?
- I work closely with a trainer in the gym and also use other sports like mountainbiking for fitness and general strength.
- 14. Di cosa non puoi far a meno
- Skiing. Surfing. Food. Everything else is secondary by a long way.
- 15. Quali sono le 3 cose che dobbiamo sapere di te?
- I once had a super sweet undercut bowl cut hairdo. I'm terrified of snakes and of ever using three examples to explain things.
- 16. Il tuo motto?
- Experience teaches only the teachable.
- 17. Quale è stato il momento più umiliante
- Tomahawking down the Bec de Rosses and losing a World Title was pretty humbling and ego destroying.
- 18. Qual è il tuo canale social migliore
- Kookslams on instagram
- 19. Obbiettivi futuri, piani e ambizioni
- Win best line at the Powder Awards, opening or closing section with Teton Gravity Research.
- 20. Come sei stato coinvolto nello sci touring?
- My parents first took me ski touring in the high alpine of NZ when I was 14 maybe, on spalding skis with the vintage 1970s marker touring binding.
- 21. Quali sono i tuoi skitours preferiti?
- I still really loving touring at home, we have many hidden gems in our Alps, but you just got to work harder to get it than most places.
- 22. Cosa c'è nel tuo zaino quando esci in escursione?
- Scroggin trail mix for snacking, avalanche gear, bulk water, a fresh base layer and puffer to keep my toasty later.