Sam Smoothy is from New Zealand and is already one of the biggest names in the Freeride circuit. He has been competing on the Freeride World Tour since 2011 and has claimed many podium spots since then including two victories in Chamonix 2012 and Fieberbrunn 2014, finishing fourth overall on the FWT 2012 and runner-up in 2014 and 3rd at Andorra in 2015. But Sam Smoothy is much more than a competition skier. He is filming for elite ski movie production like Legs of Steel and is a guest writer for various ski magazines around the globe.
He has recently been getting more into rock climbing, with some ice climbing and getting more into ski mountaineering but with a more freeride approach to skiing lines fast.
Besides skiing Sam Smoothy loves surfing, but he mainly has to do this in the chilly waves of the New Zealand winter, since he rarely spends the Southern Hemisphere summers in his hometown Wanaka. Instead, he is chasing the powder all around the world and preferably in the European Alps, where he has adopted Verbier as a second hometown. No wonder Sam Smoothy has developed an outstanding skiing style that fully lives up to his last name.
- Dátum narodenia
- New Zealand
- Domáce stredisko
- Treble Cone New Zealand and Verbier Switzerland
- Experience teaches only the teachable.
- surfing, mountain biking, rock climbing, reading
Filming with major film company Teton Gravity Research and producing own films from foreign locations in North Korea and Vanuatu
1st Freeride World Tour, Andorra (2015)
4th Freeride World Tour, Alaska (2015)
2nd overall Freeride World Tour (2014)
1st overall Freeride World Tour, Austria (2014)
1st - Chamonix Freeride World Tour (2012)
2nd - Courmayeur Freeride World Tour (2012)
3rd - Roldal Freeride World Tour (2012)
- 1. Obľúbené Völkl lyže
- Confession 193
- 2. Kde používaš tieto lyže?
- freeriding and all mountain crushing.
- 3. Čo sa ti na lyžiach páči?
- I love the power and stability I get with the Confession, it can handle anything I throw at it and floats so well in powder, I feel like I can stomp anything with this ski.
- 4. Ako sa ti páči byť súčasťou Völkl rodiny?
- The volkl team is more like a family, everyone is super nice and super fun to ski with, and we have the best equipement out there, it’s a perfect set up!
- 5. Od kedy jazdíš za Völkl?
- I have been riding on Volkl since…I think 2009
- 6. Kedy si začal s lyžovaním?
- since I was 2
- 7. Tvoj najvačší úspech v lyžiarskej kariére?
- I think winning the Andorra stop of the Freeride World Tour is my break through moment, it really got my name out there and helped a lot with getting me on the Teton Gravity Research film crew.
- 8. Obľúbené stredisko na lyžovanie?
- Alaska. But I love my home resorts too, 30 years and still not bored woooo!!!
- 9. Tvoj najlepší lyžiarsky výlet?
- I think the first season I spent in Alaska is my best ski trip, it actually changed my life, and now I know where I want to be every northern spring every year.
- 10. Kde by si rád niekedy určite lyžoval?
- Antarctica! The mysterious southern continent is just so wild I'd love to spend a few months down there freezing my toes off.
- 11. Aké vzory si mal ako dieťa v lyžiarskom športe?
- Shane McConkey
- 12. Čo robíš keď nelyžuješ?
- I try surf as much as I can, that’s my big new passion but because of skiing often means lots of cold water sessions yeow!!
- 13. Ako trénuješ, aby si bol pripravený na lyžovanie?
- I work closely with a trainer in the gym and also use other sports like mountain biking for fitness and general strength.
- 14. Bez čoho nemôžeš žiť?
- Skiing. Surfing. Food. Everything else is secondary by a long way.
- 15. Ktoré 3 veci by sme mali o tebe vedieť?
- I once had a super sweet undercut bowl cut hairdo. Im terrified of snakes and of ever using three examples to explain things.
- 16. Tvoje Motto?
- Experience teaches only the teachable.
- 17. Čo najhlúpejšie sa ti doteraz stalo?
- Tomahawking down the Bec de Rosses and losing a World Title was pretty humbling and ego destroying.
- 18. Ktorá je tvoja preferovaná sociálna sieť?
- Kookslams on instagram
- 19. Tvoje ciele a priania do budúcnosti?
- Win best line at the Powder Awards, opening or closing section with Teton Gravity Research.
- 20. Ako si sa dostal k šľapaniu na lyžiach?
- My parents first took me ski touring in the high alpine of NZ when I was…14 maybe, on spalding skis with the vintage 1970s marker touring binding
- 21. Tvoje najobľúbenejšie túry?
- I still really loving touring at home, we have many hidden gems in our Alps, but you just got to work harder to get it than most places
- 22. Čo máš v ruksaku keď ideš šľapať na lyžiach?
- scroggin trail mix for snacking, avalanche gear, bulk water, a fresh base layer and puffer to keep my toasty later.